The search for the perfect wedding favour is not always easy! Ideally, everyone is looking for a budget-friendly gift that is also useful, so as not to give yet another trinket that no one will use. This project, is one that I find, meets all the criteria and also has natural beauty and a small touch of green that I adore: DIY Potted Succulent Pots.
Familiar with succulents? These small green plants, are super cute and best of all, require very minimal maintenance. Even your guests that aren’t known to have a green thumb, will love this favor!
Project Length: 2 hours + 12 hours drying time
Difficult Level: Easy
Supplies / Store:
- Terracotta Pots | Dollarama
- Acrylic Paint (Ceramcoat Night used for DIY) | DeSerres
- A Foam Brush | Dollarama
- A Small Succulent (or any plant of your choice) | Home Depot
- Medium Rocks | Home Depot
- Cactus Mix (Soil) | Home Depot
- Optional: Thin adhesive tape to mark your decorative design | Michaels
- Optional: Varnish Glitter Glue (FolkArt – Extreme Glitter Silver used for DIY) | DeSerres
- Option: String | Michaels
1. Cover your pots with two coats of acrylic paint. Ideally, let them dry for 12 hours in between coats. This will ensure that the paint doesn’t peel should you apply the adhesive tape at the decorating stage.
2. If you want to add glitter to your pots, apply the varnish glitter to the foam brush. This technique will make for a much more uniform look versus the sprinkled glitter technique! For this tutorial, I put two coats of glitter varnish.
3. To draw precise patterns on your pots, mark your lines with adhesive tape. Just make sure that the base paint is completely dry and don’t wait too long to remove the adhesive tape to avoid peeling paint.
4. You can also simply add string (or twine) and include a personal message for a simpler look. The metallic Sharpie is perfect for this step!
5. All that’s left is to plant your succulents! Fill the bottom tier of your pot with rocks, then add the cactus potting soil. Transfer your succulent and its roots into the new pot and pack everything. It’s that simple!
You must admit, these DIY flower pots are really pretty! I highly recommend them to any couple looking to give their guests an eco-friendly & green favour. They beautifully adorn the reception tables and can easily be matched to create the perfect decor.
Looking for other wedding favour ideas to gift your guests? Get inspired and discover my Pinterest board for a rundown of awesome ideas taken from all over!